With the passage of time, Pop Up Campers are becoming more common because they are smaller than a traditional travel trailer and more than a tent. These are collapsible recreational vehicle types that offer you easy storage and lighter traveling experiences.
You can tow them by using almost any tow vehicles such as a mid-sized car or an SUV; you don’t need to invest in a truck or any other powerful vehicle.
Don’t you think this reason alone is enough to justify their popularity among the camping nerds?
Pop Up Campers usually offer you a mass area with mattresses for sleeping. Additionally, you may find a kitchen, bathroom, or shower system as well. Besides, in comparison to the fifth wheel and other heavy trailers, these can be packed in a lighter and compact state to carry.
With the morale, there are numerous pop-up camper models available on the market and it’s a top reason to get confused regarding which is the most suitable one for your use. A good quality pop up camper will cost you some money but it will last longer too.
Therefore, we have developed this article in which we present you with the best pop up campers and their brands. You don’t have to spend a lot to get your hands on a great camper that delivers value and recreation. To get more details, keep reading on!
Physical Attributes of Pop Up Campers
Compared to heavy RV trailers that have a weight range starting from 5,000 pounds, pop up campers are marginally lighter. They weight anywhere around 700 to 4000 pounds. This is the primary reason a standard SUV is suitable to pull them. It also does not take a hit on your fuel mileage.
These camping trailers usually have a trailer frame that offers a strong structure to the entire tent. A hard roof is usually present for a sturdy build of the camper. The mattresses are available in pull-out bunk styles. Usually, the walls are considered ‘soft’ as they are made up of canvas, vinyl, or other similar material. Overall, it is like owning a reinforced camping tent. Often, you can find windows in the tents that have screens.
As far as the size goes, most tents have a length ranging between 8 to 16 feet. However, box length is usually half of what the tent can usually extend to. The width of the tents is around 7 to 8 feet, and the height is generally shorter, on an average of 4 to 6 feet. Correlatively, the high wall models are generally taller in size. Overall, these tent campers can hold 4 to 8 people comfortably.
Types of Pop Up Camper
There are primarily four types of pop up campers. Some variations might combine two of them together, or offer a lightweight tent trailer of the same type. However, by the standards, these four can categorize all types of pop up campers:
If you’re looking for an authentic sensation of sleeping in a tent, these trailers are perfect. They are light and usually have canvas walls to expand upon. They are highly versatile and easy to set up. If you know how tents work, these are perfect for you. You can place them on the roadside or deeper in the woods and enjoy your stay.
High Wall Campers
These small tent trailers come with fiberglass walls, usually. They have expandable walls that open upwards to provide you space and have a stronger frame. High wall campers are identical to tent trailers but tend to be more sturdy. Therefore, they are slightly heavier too. It is easier to set them up compared to tent trailers.
These trailers usually have a sturdy structure and require minimal to no efforts in setting up. You can easily tow it with any car or SUV. However, they are usually less spacious than the other models on the list and can offer space for up to two people. They are easy to pack, as well. It is a perfect selection for those who don’t seek much interior space and only need it for sleep or safe-stay at night.
This is where you start to leave the spectrum of ‘pop up campers’ and begin moving into heavier RV selection. These campers usually come in a teardrop shape and have more amenities than other trailers, such as an additional kitchen. Here, you will start paying according to the luxuries you opt for. They almost come with all options like that of RV, like electric connection and such. They almost feel like a compact home.
Summary of Top 7 Pop Up Campers
|Jayco Jay Series Sport Camping Trailer||2 – 7 People||11 – 18 Feet||4|
|Flagstaff Hard Side Pop-Up Campers||2 – 8 People||19 Feet||7|
|LivinLite – QuickSilver Tent Campers||2 – 6 People||10 – 17 Feet||4|
|Clipper And Viking Camping Trailers||2 – 7 People||12 – 22 Feet||16|
|Sylvansport Go Pop-up Camper||2-10 people||12 Feet||4|
|Opus Pop-Up-Camper||2-8 people||18 Feet||4|
|Aliner& Somerset – NewPort||2 – 6 People||18 Feet||1|
Top 7 Best Pop Up Campers Reviews
In this article, we have reviewed the 7 best pop up trailer campers and their brands available on the market. These brands are the best sellers in terms of their price and functionality of their products, and users rate them very highly.
We have discussed with expert about all the features and benefits of each of the products along with their pros and cons to provide you with a clear picture of what these products have to offer you.
Besides, we not only interviewed different people on this topic but also gathered plenty of valuable information through our online surveys.
All in all, we have spent over 200 hours in collecting and assembling the useful information in this article for your convenience. It will help you to reach a proper conclusion as to which camper trailer proves to be the ideal option for you.
Apart from the interviews and surveys, we have also gone through over 500 user reviews to assess and analyze what the real users have to say about these products and how you can relate to them.
The products list of pop up campers don’t only have their brand identity but also have real-life user experiences & analysis to back up.
It means that this article alone is sufficient for you to reach the right decision when it comes to buying a top notch pop up camper trailer. We are not bragging about anything; it’s just what we do and that is to provide the most authentic and reliable information to you.
These are the top 7 pop up campers on the market carefully selected according to the key factors discussed above.
1. Jayco Jay Series Sport Camping Trailer
Whether you like rustic and rugged or prefer cozy and comfortable, the Jay Sport pop up camping trailers from Jayco will get things done for you. This trailer makes getting away the way you like a lot easier. For this reason, it appears on the top spot on our list.
Why do we recommend it?
These trailer tents folding camper comes with five-lifetime warranties, which means you can thoroughly rely on it. It has several high-quality features such as wall-to-wall vinyl flooring along with a sink, faucet made of acrylic, plus a stove made of stainless steel that you can either use indoor or outdoor.
Moreover, it also boasts residential cabinetry so that if you want to spend more days at your campsite, you can do so by making more stuff too and enjoy the home-like comfort.
It also features a dinette with reversible cushions. You can also opt to buy 4-inch heated bed mats with some extra payment.
Features & Benefits
- Jay Sport camping trailer is equipped with high-quality Diamond Flor vinyl flooring. It comes with acrylic sink, faucet and stove made of stainless steel. The material used enables this pop-up camper to last for many years to come.
- The camper is prepped for stereo and television along with the curtained bath and outside shower, 6-gallon water heater and all appliances plumbed. You are all set for convenience galore at your campsite.
- It has extra-wide lifter posts equipped with push-rods. You can also find a tongue jack for leveling along with a retractable step. It is made of aluminum with sand pads for user-friendly setup.
- You can also opt for the Baja Package with 15-inch off-road tires. An additional 5-inch ground clearance enables you to take your pop up camper almost anywhere you want for camping.
- The Jay Sport camping trailers boast a heavy-duty Norco A-frame that is corrosion and scratch-resistant. Due to top quality aluminum embossed Super Lube finishing, it can handle all types of road and campsite conditions.
- Comes with 10-foot and 12-foot screen room with privacy panels.
- Four different floor plans up to 25-foot in length are available for you to choose from.
- Equipped with Duratek water-resistant tents along with 1050 pounds rated beds.
- Setup is pretty easy and quick.
- Comes with mud tires and high ground clearance.
- It is not an ideal option for large families or a group of people.
- Not very durable if exposed to extreme weather conditions.
- Towing feature needs a few adjustments and doesn’t work on bumpy roads.
All in all, it is the finest pop up camper for families because it not only adds functionality also has plenty of add-on features too. If you have a large family then you would need the larger-sized camper hence you could consider Jayco Jay Series Sport as your top choice. In addition, don’t forget this camper is built to last long too.
2. Forest River – Flagstaff Hard Sided Pop-Up Campers
The Flagstaff Hard side Pop up camper from Forest River comes with hard side walls which means it has a solid exterior that you normally find in a traditional travel trailer. Hence you get the best of both worlds and therefore, it makes an appearance in one of the best hard sided pop up campers.
Why do we recommend it?
The exterior is made of fiberglass vacuum coupled with an easy setup. You get a huge towing and storage advantage with this camper. Additionally, you enjoy all the amenities of the travel trailers you find on the market today.
The Flagstaff provides you with seven different floorplans and you can opt for a different model as per your requirements and needs. It comes with a fully enclosed living area featuring maple interior and wood-look linoleum.
This budget-friendly pop-up camper will turn your campsite into a home with the residential type high rise faucet and stainless steel like double pan sink and appliances.
Features & Benefits
- It has a large-sized tinted rear roof skylight shade, a couple of front roofs tinted windows to provide plenty of light and airflow.
- The Flagstaff’s one-piece structure undercoated wood floor coupled with the two-tone seating and maple interior looks very stylish and elegant. It also adds to the durability of the camper.
- The camper also boasts four EZ Crank Down stabilizer jacks along with powder-coated steel frame to keep the setup minimal and simple.
- The pop-up camper is all pre-plumbed and also houses a 20-gallon fresh water tank, outside shower, water filter, and heater. In addition to these, it has a pump under the floor to keep water readily available at all times.
- It also has Wi-Fi ranger and Wi-Fi booster to keep you connected at all times with the internet world. You can also find multiple USB charging ports, a TV outlet, satellite hookup as well as a detachable power cord. Furthermore, a converter and a safety breaker will make your campsite becomes your home.
- Features a hard side high walls made of fiberglass vacuum.
- Has features of a trailer as well as a pop-up camper.
- You can choose from 7 different floorplans.
- Has wood-like linoleum with maple interior and two-toned seating.
- Comes ready to use with all the appliances.
- Hard sidewalls mean you don’t have many options.
- No screen room available.
- Doesn’t come with mud tires or high ground clearance.
The Flagstaff Hard side Pop up camper always remain popular cause of its outstanding features If you are happy with simple floor plan and don’t like to alter it much, then this hard sided pop up camper trailer will work very well for you.
3. LivinLite – QuickSilver Tent Campers
The QuickSilver Tent Camper from LivinLite has fiberglass exterior that is available in six different colors so you get to choose which one you prefer according to your taste.
This pop-up camper also provides you with an option to choose from four different floor plans. With QuickSilver it’s all about your convenience as you have plenty of options to choose from depending on your choice and preferences.
Why do we recommend it?
There are different types of QuickSilver Tent Campers you can find. The number of features available to you makes this trailer to be one of the best luxury pop up camper available.
This budget-friendly camper is available in sleep capacity for three and six people. You will get an overall camping length that ranges from 10 feet to 20 feet. The camping height ranges from 8 feet to 8 feet and 2 inches.
The unloaded vehicle weight of this camper ranges from 694lbs to 1106lbs. Whereas, the dry hitch weight falls between 92lbs and 186lbs. different options of QuickSilver Tent Campers come with a cargo-carrying capacity that varies from 506lbs to 1140lbs. All models are equipped with 12-inch tires.
Features & Benefits
- It has an extremely lightweight design due to aluminum construction. The construction makes maneuverability and handling very easy and submits its place as the finest camper trailer among the ultralight campers.
- With swivel jack on the tongue, pre-wires Furrion Solar and stabilizer jacks all work together to provide the user with an easy-to-setup convenience.
- The interiors include aluminum cabinetry, crack-proof linoleum, lightweight countertops, under-seat storage thermoformed compartments provide maximum usability and comfort.
- The exterior includes all tubular aluminum frame with vacuum-bonded walls that are laminated with composite walls for high-level weather protection and longevity.
- You can also opt for various packages including electric brakes, aluminum rear storage deck, air conditioner, 7-way plug, awning room, privacy drapes, LP furnace and stovetop, residential countertop, additional road clearance, and all-terrain 15-inch tires. For additional investment, you can go for these packages based on your preferences for additional comfort and luxury.
- Comes with aluminum cabinetry and crack proof linoleum as well as lightweight countertops.
- Also features a hand pump sink with a city water fill and water tank.
- Thermoformed storage compartments under the seats and laminated floor.
- Comes with nitro filled radial tires, aluminum rims and exterior trim with diamond plate.
- Plenty of other special features such as an awning room, electric brakes, aluminum rear storage deck, 7-way plug, air conditioning facility, LP stovetop and all-terrain tires with extra ground clearance.
- No screen room option available but you can buy it separately and add it.
- Setting up takes a bit of time especially for the first-time user.
- Towing feature needs slight improvements.
If you are looking for plenty of options then Quicksilver Tent Camper is the way to go. With different exterior color and floor plans, this pop-up camper works fine and it ensures you don’t miss out on anything. We would like to state that it is a top notch pop up tent camper with luxury.
4. Coachmen – Clipper And Viking Camping Trailers
The Clipper and Viking Camping Trailer from Coachmen features state of the art technology in its design and construction. It is engineered with an aim in mind and that is “ease”. The camper is very convenient to set up and even more comfortable to store and use.
Why do we recommend it?
Coachmen pop up camper made in our list because of comfort and ease are among the top priorities of the users. This camper trailer raises the bar by providing you with easy towing through aerodynamic profiling.
It also gives you the patent-pending technology of the Glide-N-Lock bedding system. This camper trail comes with 16 different floorplans ensuring you the practical facilitation at the campsite. It comes with two different options for hitch weight including 105lbs and 73lbs with exterior open lengths of 14.5-foot and 9-foot respectively.
The exterior closed length will be 12-foot 4-inch and 12-foot 11-inch. Whereas, the exterior closed height will be four and a half foot and 4-foot 3-inch respectively. The width of the exterior would be 60-foot and 72-foot. These are the dimensions for Clipper Express.
Features & Benefits
- Its chassis is equipped with steel frame, Wide Trac Ultra lube torsion, and spring axles. Furthermore, it contains heavyweight dolly jack, dual drive winch from Canimex along with electric brakes, aluminum rims, radial tires, and scissor-style jacks with lift system (Goshen) to provide you with maximum comfort on road.
- The interior of this camper trailer features 100% adhesive residential grade linoleum with walnut cabinetry, laminated countertops, residential cabinet doors from Mortise and Tenon, small wet bath, 4-inch heated mattresses for ultra comfort and many others to give you that relaxation of home even away from home and it also adds to the durability of the camper.
- The exterior features laminated aluminum skin walls, diamond plate rear and front wall protection with laminated fiberglass, LED exterior lamps, Zero Exposure Bunk technology, and others to keep the camper safe from changing weather and road conditions.
- It is available in sixteen different floorplans. You can pick one as per your preferences and requirements depending on your camping partners.
- Chassis comes with electric brakes lift system (Goshen), aluminum rims, radial mud tires, a spare tire, and aluminum rims.
- The interior is fully equipped with all the facilities you need to spend maximum quality time at your campsite.
- The exterior is all coated with lamination to ensure the longevity of the camper trailer.
- The aluminum construction guarantees lightweight design with durability.
- It is available in different floorplans to house as many as eight people at a time and with drapers each person can enjoy his/her privacy.
- Not available in many color options as far as the exterior is a concern.
- It is a slightly expensive product compared to other campers.
- Not designed for extreme weather.
The clipper is all about convenience and ease and all its functions revolve around this trait. The camper does come at a slightly higher price as compared to others on this list but it also provides numerous features. With all of these, it is one of the best pop up campers with bathroom.
5. Sylvansport Go Pop-Up Camper
The Sylvansport Go Pop-up Campers have been around since the beginning. These campers provide freedom and luxury. They are great for their versatility, comfort, and fuel efficiency. Once you try out the Sylvansport camper trailer, you’ll be in love with the durability and capacity.
Why Do We Recommend It?
We recommend the Sylvansport for a number of reasons. The most major feature of this camper is its capacity. The trailer can carry up to 12 boats, bikes, boards, and other gear. This makes it perfect for a camping trip or boating vacation.
The Sylvansport Camper uses an aluminum frame to make the camper extremely durable and resilient. The use of aluminum makes it lightweight and corrosion-resistant. The aluminum has been secured with state-of-the-art TIG welding and has a powder coating for durability.
The Sylvansport Camper uses 220-denier nylon that is thrice as tough as regular fabric. The best part is that you don’t need an additional rainfly. All the seams are sealed shut to avoid leakage and rain damage. This trailer has a diamond plate deck which can withstand all of the elements.
Features and Benefits
- It has a large capacity to store goods, gear, sports items, boats, and bicycles. Can accommodate a large family of up to 10 persons.
- Excellent quality of life. The perfect balance of luxury and space. Interior design is great for camping and relaxation.
- The exterior is made of powder-coated aluminum that keeps the structure rigid and sturdy. Diamond deck plating makes the flooring and shafts stronger and more reliable.
- Waterproof and seam-sealed nylon fabric makes camping secure and rainproof. These campers and trailers are made of 220-denier nylon that resists all the elements.
- The capacious interior that houses 1866 cubic inches of free space for cargo.
- Durable aluminum extrusions that save your camper from damage.
- TIG Welding and powder coating make the camper corrosion-resistant.
- The 220-denier ripstop nylon fabric used in the tent. Thrice as tough as regular fabric.
- Cast aluminum wheels and axles that keep the camper on the go.
- Does not feature enough space in the front.
- The aluminum frame cannot withstand much pressure.
- Rain proofing may be faulty in some models.
The Sylvansport GO Pop up Camper is an excellent choice for frequent campers. It can fit a whole family for any family function. And it’s good for transporting cargo and luggage. Sports items and boats can also be kept secure inside the GO Pop-Up Camper.
6. Air Opus Pop Up Camper
The Air Opus is an exquisite pop up camper that provides both on-road and off-road performance. This camper features all the space you need to keep your cargo and sporting equipment safe and secure.
This camper uses the industry’s best air tenting technology. All of these camping essential features & amenities make Air Opus top notch pop up tent trailer for camping nerds.
Why Do We Recommend It?
The Air Opus Pop up Camper is an excellent choice if you’re carrying a small family or sports goods. The cargo capacity of the Opus is about 1800 kg. It can hold over a dozen bikes, boats, and other sporting equipment.
It’s perfect for a small family and will keep your guests entertained. The main body is made of strong reinforced aluminum. And the frame or chassis is made of hard galvanized steel.
The Opus Camper is made for off-road performance. This means its suspension and brake system works exceptionally well on dirt roads and rocky areas. It uses 235/75 R15 wheels and tires, which are perfect for off-road performance.
The Opus uses an independent coil spring suspension along with a 12-inch electric brake. All of these combinations make the Air Opus the perfect candidate for off-road camping.
Features and Benefits
- Galvanized steel chassis and powdered aluminum frame account for resilience. The camper is durable and can withstand the elements.
- Uses a micro-weave poly-cotton blend of weight 340 grams. This fabric is waterproof and tough enough to resist wind and water damage.
- The Opus also features space for two 9 kilogram gas cylinders. This means that you can opt for a more efficient and eco-friendly fuel.
- It also features two water tanks, four-burner gas stove, sink, and pressurized water dispenser. These features can be found in the kitchen to make life in the camper feel familiar.
- Tough and rain-proof tent fabric that gives you protection and security.
- Capacious cargo storage that can store sports equipment and gears.
- Perfect for family outings and barbecues. It can accommodate a small family.
- Excellent off-road performance. Can withstand rough road condition.
- Independent coil spring suspension makes dirt track maneuvering easy.
- Not enough cargo space for larger sporting equipment.
- Facilities and interior design may be unsuitable for some users.
- Batteries aren’t as durable as others.
The Air Opus has an amazing quality that speaks for itself. We recommend the camper for off-road camping and traveling. The luggage section can hold a few kilos more than other campers. We recommend this for small families and friend groups.
7. Aliner & Somerset – NewPort
The Aliner & Somerset pop up campers emphasize more on simplicity than anything else. This super cost-effective option is more suitable for the people who don’t want anything fancy. With a simple floorplan, the somerset offers all the goodies in one package.
Why do we recommend it?
This option is most suited for the people who don’t want to spend a lot on their pop up camper. People who don’t do much camping can use this option because after using it you can store it with ease and it won’t take much space either.
Nevertheless, bear in mind that you won’t find much of a luxury in the NewPort. The easy to set up and use features of this camper gives it quite an edge over other options that have featured on our list of best pop up trailer campers.
The towing camper has a road height of 47-inch and its base vehicle weight is 1150lbs while the base axle weight stands at 1050lbs. the size of the trailer, when closed, is 6-foot 8-inch in width and 12-foot 11-inch in length.
Features & Benefits
- The tire size of this camper trailer is large. This feature provides a good amount of ground clearance and you can move around in different terrains with ease.
- It has a flip-up gallery with plenty of storage capacity while the 4-inch mattress size. It can house on both ends is 51-inch by 72-inch which means that the camper is pretty spacious.
- Moreover, it features a convertible dinette that can also be changed into the bed of size 39-inch by 59-inch. Additionally, it provides some extra room for six people easily.
- The NewPort comes with all standard equipment and appliances along with a portable water tank of 5 gallons to provide the users with standard living facilities.
- The top feature of this camper is its low price without compromising on basic facilities.
- It features a convertible dinette that can change into a small bed for kids or one person.
- You can house two large mattresses with 4-inch thickness.
- It offers plenty of storage room through cabinets and compartments.
- The NewPort is equipped with double burner porcelain stove with cover
- It only focuses on the basics and does not have any premium features.
- Not a durable product and good suited for non-frequent campers.
- Slight cheap quality materials.
With a wide-open floor & plenty of sleeping capacity, it’s very reasonable for its price range. Focusing on the market segment that is price conscious and for that, they have designed Aliner & Somerset that does the basics well but does not go beyond that.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Pop-Up Camper
When buying a pop-up camper there are various features that you might consider important but don’t think that everyone thinks in the same way.
For example, some of you might like to remodel your camper all by yourself, which is not a bad thing and for this, you get to save plenty of money when you embark on yourself in pursuit of best used pop-up campers. But longevity and durability of a new camper are not comparable to a used one especially if you use it quite a lot.
A camper must have a very sturdy structure so that you can use it for a few years to come. You have to carefully examine the options before buying it because you don’t want to spend anything on repairs if particularly if you have bought a new one. There are some other aspects that you need to consider too.
Repairs associated with the camper floor are a pain in the neck because they cost a lot. Therefore, you need to have a look thoroughly at the quality of the canvas used, its roof, and the lift system of your buying option. You must also check for any bent frame as it can cause sagging or leaking in your camper.
Your camper must provide you with convenience so that you can easily tow it with your car and after arriving at the campsite you can unhitch to take your vehicle anywhere you want to go.
User-friendliness is another crucial feature that you need to consider. You can easily prepare and set up most of the pop-up campers which makes them far easier than setting up a tent, you just need to slide the napping region out and roll up the roof and you are done.
When you are not using your camper, then you must store it properly. Most of the pop-ups today have the capability to fold up in a four feet tall box that makes storage very easy.
Protection is a key feature because at the campsite you don’t know how quickly the weather changes. It must be able to protect you from the heat of the sun and rain when you don’t want them.
List of features & amenities
Pop-up campers make traveling a lot more fun for you. If you are a travel enthusiast and you want the convenience and comfort of your home, pop up campers make your camping super easy for you with numerous amenities. They are portable living vehicles which have the ability to pop up no matter wherever you go.
Small pop-up campers are light-weight and are not spacious enough to provide you with a bathroom facility.
However, bigger pop-up campers come with waterproof toilets. The bathrooms are usually wet bathrooms. The toilet is situated inside the shower stall. You have to wipe off the entire bathroom after every shower.
You cannot store your toiletries in the bathroom because of the risk of getting wet. Some pop-up campers come with separate shower and toilet facilities. They are installed in a single room but are placed separately.
- Floor plan & kitchen
Most pop-up campers come with a sitting area. You can spend quality time with your friends and family in these areas when you are not out camping. The sitting area makes you comfortable enough to relax on a much-needed vacation.
- Heating and cooling system
In addition, pop-up campers give you heating and cooling systems to camp in optimal comfort. Moreover, for cooler months some pop-up campers come with the facility of a heater. You can have an ultimate camping experience in chilly winters by keeping yourself warm in the pop-up camper.
- Storage space
Pop-up campers are compact and sleek units but they are spacious enough for you to organize your things properly. You might feel that you don’t have enough space to store the things you need. But if you use the storage area to its optimal capacity you’d be surprised by the storage facilities pop-up camper offer.
When you plan to go outdoor camping, you want to make sure that you have the things you need to make your camping trip memorable. They also come with a kitchen area. The kitchen area consists of a refrigerator, sink and 3 or 4 stoves. You can cook whatever you want. You can make delicious and yummy food and enjoy it with your friends and family.
If you are planning a trip which is long enough, it is a good idea to freeze a few meals in the refrigerator and store some food in the kitchen cabinets.
Bear in mind that you pack your things in a space-saving manner when you take a pop-up camper on a trip with you.
Sleeping comfort/number of sleepers
For the camping enthusiast, spending time in outdoor activities is more fun. However, at the end of the day, we all want a comfortable bed to sleep on. You’ll find a comfortable sleeping set-up in many pop-up campers.
They come with a soft mattress which gives you the comfort you desire to sleep at night. Pop-up campers give you an ultimate sleeping experience away from your home. You are able to make sleeping arrangements for a family of four in a matter of minutes. When you are out during camping, you don’t need to worry about where to sleep when you have a pop-up camper with you.
› Pros and Cons of pop up campers
The benefits of having a pop-up camper
Having a pop-up camper can pave way for a lot of exclusive benefits. Pop up campers are just like RVs, except they’re smaller and have different functions. Mostly, they are used for transporting sports goods and camping equipment. They are best for frequent campers and not for long-term residential use. The following are a few benefits of having a pop-up camper:
- More freedom and aesthetic scenery
An RV can restrict the view and your freedom. But with a pop-up camper, the stars have never looked bolder. Camping in the day has its own joy to it, but camping in the night brings a whole different charisma.
With pop up campers, the experience increases tenfold. Campers are more flexible and allowed for a lot of movement and activities. You can cook, barbecue, and enjoy the view of them. They are much more versatile than RVs.
- Easy airflow and ventilation
Airflow is a major problem in living inside a moving house. With a tent trailer, you can open the screens on either side. This makes for the perfect canopy that allows both sunlight and fresh cool air. Artificial ventilation is a thing of the past. With pop up campers, you get twice the natural airflow and a tranquilizing environment.
RVs and other hard-shelled trailers don’t have this feature. The most you can get in terms of ventilation are a few windows and sunroofs. Other than that, most RVs are closed and use some other method of ventilation. Natural light and airflow are important for a healthy body and mind.
- Larger person capacity
Although not as big as RVs, pop up campers and tent trailers can accommodate quite a lot of people. Some models can carry up to 10 people. This is perfect for an extended family or a large friend circle.
Other shorter models can sleep 8 people at a time, which is still enough for small and medium-sized families. These trailers feature king and double-sized beds, along with retractable benches. Sleeping inside these trailers is peaceful and relaxing. Especially with natural airflow, the cool night will keep you fast asleep.
- Towing ease
The fourth benefit of owning a pop-up camper is that these trailers are easier to tow and transport. Towing trucks can easily attach their bars to the camper’s rear end.
Moreover, you don’t even need a heavy-duty towing truck for these trailers. Even a minivan with a mediocre tow bar can do the job. This reduces expenses on both towing equipment and pickup trucks. A smaller towing vehicle also means lesser fuel consumption. So you get three benefits from just one feature.
- Smaller size, More compact
The smaller size accounts for the towing ease as well as storage capabilities. With an RV, you need a place to park it. Trailer and RV parks can be expensive to afford. And most likely you have to pay someone else to store your RV for you. However, with pop up campers, the vehicle can be easily stored in your own backyard or garage. It’s easy to store and doesn’t cost extra on storage space.
- Mostly waterproof
Last but not least, most campers are waterproof. This means that they can survive the rain and the elements. Dirt, mud, water- you’ll see none of that inside pop up campers. It’s a running myth that a camper tent can’t hold all of the water.
In fact, if the fabric is nicely seamed, the water can’t go inside. Of course, faulty tents and bad manufacturing can lead to a few leaks. But if done properly, nothing can come between you and your luxurious outing. This is just one more reason why we’re in love with pop up campers.
The downsides of a pop-up camper
Of course, pop up trailers have their downsides as well. While we rank them above RVs and trailer homes, there are some features that lower their status. Downsides of pop up campers include lower storage space, less power, and lack of basic amenities. These are as follows:
- Lack of amenities
The lack of amenities is the first thing that ranks campers below RVs. An RV has comfortable sleeping quarters and a running supply of water and electricity. It even has a fully functional kitchen and living room.
However, with pop up campers, the facilities are diminished. Most kitchens only have a few drawers and cabinets. And the sink usually has low water pressure. Faucets and toilets can be very slow at work. Moreover, although designed for 10 people, a camper hardly has 3-4 beds. This means most people end up sleeping on the floor or on the couch.
- Sleeping conditions and temperature
As mentioned earlier, you might end up sleeping on the floor in a pop-up camper. However, that’s not the only discomfort. Most floors of a camper are made of vinyl. This means the floor will be exceptionally stiff and hard to sleep on.
Moreover, the vinyl can absorb a lot of heat, leading to higher temperatures in the day. In the night, the floor can become cool, which is uncomfortable in the winter. As opposed to that, RVs usually have more beds or convertible couches. And they keep excessive heat and cold away from the users.
- Lower customization
Pop up trailers come with lesser customization than RVs and Motorhomes. This makes it very important to ensure your camper has everything pre-installed. So you won’t have to keep adding things. Pop up campers don’t really have much to add. They already have little to no room for accessories. And since RVs are more popular, their accessories can be harder to find.
- Less storage space
This can be an issue with pop up campers. RVs and giant motor homes can house a ton of things. They have enough space for beds, closets, television, tables, and sinks. But a pop-up camper has lesser versatility. It features basic necessities such as a sink, bathroom, cable, and the lights.
But with all of this, there will be no space for extra baggage. The cargo section already has a lesser storage space. While some campers provide more space than others, they can’t beat RVs in the overall capacity.
- Less power and strength
Campers use lesser fuel. This can mean more fuel efficiency. But it also means lesser engine power. Most pop up campers end up stuck in places that only a powerful engine can pull them out of. Towing them to a truck or a jeep and pulling them out is the only suitable way. Reduced engine power can mean a lot of issues with speed and mobility.
You might also like: Must have pop-up camper accessories.
Advantages of using Pop Up Campers Instead of Travel Trailers
- If you are looking for a portable vehicle to upgrade your camping experience, a pop-up camper is the best option for you. A pop-up camper provides you ultimate comfort and protection when you are out camping with your family. The walls of the pop-up camper are made from a light-weight material which makes it easier for you to tow it to the car.
- When it comes to storage and tow ability capacity, a pop-up camper serves the purpose. Some pop-up campers even come with a locking door which gives you more protection and security.
- The pop-up campers act as a portable living space for you. They give you the comfort of your home. The unit comes with two wings which provide you a good sleeping area. Some pop-up campers also come with a Wi-Fi ranger and booster to keep you connected to the world while you are on a vacation with your family. Most of them come with a cooking area and a storage area as well.
- Pop-up campers are perfect for you if you are a frequent camper who only camps for a few days. However, you’ll need more space if you travel for a longer period of time with your friends and family.
› On the other hand, travel trailers are suitable for a long vacation. They come with the facilities of a fridge, television, a bedroom, and a bathroom. You won’t homesick if you opt to camp with a travel trailer.
You can have the comfort of sleeping at your home in the travel trailer. Travel trailers are constructed with hard walls which make you feel protected and secure. You are able to save the hotel reservation cost if you buy a luxurious travel trailer.
If you want short camping trips, an optimal pop-up camper serves your purpose. However, if you want to enjoy the luxurious experience of camping for a long vacation, a travel trailer is a good choice for you.
See also: Which is better? Travel Trailer vs Motorhome!
What to Consider When Purchasing a Used Pop Up Camper?
Are you short on budget? Do you want to buy a used pop-up camper? You need to keep a few things in mind before making your purchasing decision. We have compiled a few tips for you to make it easier for you to find a used pop-up camper in excellent shape. You’ll be able to save many troubles by following our purchasing guide for a used pop-up camper.
- Apparent/Physical condition
First and foremost, it is important for you to consider the condition of the used pop-up camper. Do a very thorough examination of the used pop-up camper you are thinking of buying. Pop-up campers are sleek and compact units that are prone to wearing off easily when used in harsh weather conditions.
Water and moisture are two enemies of the pop-up camper which ruin the structure of the unit. Make sure that you properly investigate the damaged areas of the pop-up camper. Check the imperfections by paying great attention to detail. If something needs to be repaired, let the seller know beforehand.
- Working condition of heating and cooling system
Check all the heating and cooling systems of the pop-up camper properly. Make sure that the water and electrical supply is effective and efficient. Ensure that the tires are in a condition to tow the equipment easily.
- New vs. Used
Whether you buy a new pop-up camper or a used pop-up camper, they should give you the comfort you need to experience while camping with your family. The used pop-up campers come with the same facilities as the new ones.
Therefore, you don’t need to worry about anything if you buy a used pop-up camper. You’ll be able to find used pop-up campers in a good condition at a fair price. However, keep in mind that it’s your money at stake, so make sure that you make a good deal.
Questions and Answers (FAQs)
1. How Much Is A Pop Up Tent Trailer?
If you’re looking to buy new pop up camper, then it can cost anywhere between $9,000 to $20,000. Therefore, it is important to consider your budget first. You can get better deals on a used pop up camper trailer that might cost $3,000 to $15,000 on a similar scale. Mainly, you have a bargaining factor in getting a better deal on used trailers.
2. Are Pop Up Campers Worth It?
It depends on the purpose. They are definitely worth having for camping and boondocking if you can not invest in RV. If you don’t have a vehicle that supports heavier RVs, and you don’t seek to buy one in the near future, then campers are certainly worth it.
3. What Is The Largest Pop Up Camper?
The high wall series have a manufacturer named ‘The Flagstaff.’ They have models that fall among the largest pop-up tent trailers. Some of these models are capable of housing an entire family, conveniently.
5. What Is The Lightest & Cheapest Pop-up Camper?
The pop-up tent trailers offer you lightest options that can weight as low as 800 pounds. They are convenient and also happen to be the cheapest among all. You easily can find a small & light tent trailer model that you can carry with a powerful motorcycle as well.
6. Can You Live In A Pop Up Camper?
Pop up campers are not ideal for a living unless you are a person with minimalistic requirements. Even then, you should invest at least in a teardrop camper because you will need luxuries like electricity, a bathroom or a shower. Most of the pop-up campers are designed for vacation and trips. Not suitable for living for a prolonged time. However, with enough conviction, you can live anywhere.
7. Do Pop Up Trailers Have Bathrooms?
You have an option to choose between bathroom and shower in most of the pop-up campers. Please, consider your budget and make a list of amenities that you would require.
8. Can you repair them if any breakdown occurs during your travel time?
If you are planning to purchase a used pop-up camper you might be concerned about its repairing. It might be a challenging task for you to get your pop-up camper repaired but you can do minor repairs yourself. These light-weight and compact units are usually made from canvas which might get damaged easily. If there is a tear in the pop-up camper, it is easily repairable. You can deal with most repairs yourself.
If the ceiling of your pop-up camper starts leaking, it can also be used again. If you are unable to repair it yourself, you can hire a professional to do it for you.
9. Do you need any special license to drive pop-up campers?
Pop-ups are towed behind an SUV or truck and thus do not require any sort of special license, all you need is a valid driving license to drive a towable vehicle, nothing else.
10. Are pop up campers easy to tow?
The weight of the pop-up campers is not too heavy which makes it easier for you to tow. You don’t need to attach an extra heavy vehicle with it. It comes with movable wheels which allow you to tow it with the car in your driveway.
11. Do they come with a customizable storage place?
You can remodel and redesign your pop-up camper according to your needs. If you need more storage capacity, you can add shelves and more storage places in your camper. You can make the pop-up camper more spacious by adding storage cubbies. You can add them to the walls or floors. More storage capacity allows you to stay more organized.
12. Are they long-lasting and durable?
One of the major concerns of the buyers when buying a pop-up camper is durability. They want it to last for years. Most premium qualities pop-up campers stay with you for a long time. They are engineered to deal with the harsh weather conditions. They don’t leak, hold up strong in a rainstorm and allow you to stay warm on a chilly winter night.
In the end, we will say that there are numerous alternatives if you are looking for a pop-up camper. We have only focused on the above seven because we think they are the best pop up campers that you can find on the market. Each of the above products has its pros and cons.
However, you can choose any one of them based on your preferences and needs. We have focused on conveniences, value, price, and luxury when we developed our list and everyone gives a different score or weight age to each of these characteristics.
We will suggest that you go through these options and check other websites before you finalize your purchase decision. You can opt for anything you like, you can go for luxury or you can opt for less expensive.
Either way, we sincerely hope that you buy the best product that enables you to have fun on your upcoming trip. Hope you have enjoyed the article. If you have any suggestions or comments please leave your message below. We will be more than happy to hear from you.
4 thoughts on “7 Best Pop Up Campers In 2022 – Buyers Guide”
Very nice review of pop ups.
With the title of Best Popup campers I would enter another model for consideration.
The Somerset Utah model is an excellent and high quality camper.
It is even more rugged than our previous Coleman Fleetwood Carmel model.
In visiting other brands and RV shows and camp sites the Somerset is very well made of quality materials. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for!
Thanks for sharing your opinion & thoughts here. We really appreciate. We would love to review few more pop up campers very soon! Will definitely study The Somerset Utah model as well. Happy Camping
I’ve noticed that you do not recommend the Rockwood pop up camper high wall series. I’ve owned Jayco’s starcraft’s palominos and Coleman’s and the Rockwood highwall is my favorite hands down. I also own a travel trailer and prefer the Rockwood pop up series to any of the ones you recommend. When I bought my Rockwood highwall I sat in an A-frame trailer and it felt like I was camping in my bathroom, too small. While the Rockwood was $18,000 out the door, it has every option that my travel trailer has except for a television, that includes air conditioning. These trailers might be fine for a weekend or so but if you camp for weeks at a time like I do the Rockwood will more than pay for itself after 5 to 10 years. I am just curious why you did not recommend the Rockwood pop up series.
Hello, Rich Tomsky
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate that.
We admire and respect your opinion. We will definitely consider all those important pieces you recommend here in our forthcoming updates.