With the passage of time, pop-up campers are becoming more common because they are smaller than a travel trailer and more than a tent. Don’t you think this reason alone is the enough to justify their popularity among the masses? Therefore, we have developed this article in which we present you with the best pop up campers brands. Nevertheless, there are numerous pop-up camper models available on the market. More than enough to cause a great deal of confusion regarding which is the best one for your use. A good quality pop up camper will cost you some money but it will last long too. However, you don’t have to spend a lot to get your hand on a great product that delivers value. To get more details keep reading on!
How we wrote this review?
In this article, we have reviewed the five best pop up campers brands that are available on the market. These brands are the best sellers in terms of their price and functionality of their products and customers rate them very highly. Apart from that we have also discussed the matter with products experts and integrated their information in this article too. We have discussed all the features and benefits of each of the products along with their pros and cons to providing you with a clear picture of what these products have to offer you. But before that, we will present you with a brief table for your convenience to compare the price and features of each of these products to make the best purchase decision that you won’t regret later on. It won’t get easier than this, right?
Advantages of using pop up campers instead of travel trailers – Pop up campers vs. Travel trailers
- If you are looking for a portable vehicle to upgrade your camping experience, a pop-up camper is the best option for you. A pop-up camper provides you ultimate comfort and protection when you are out camping with your family. The walls of the pop-up camper are made from a light-weight material which makes it easier for you to tow it to the car.
- When it comes to storage and tow ability capacity a pop-up camper serves the purpose. Some pop-up campers even come with a locking door which gives you more protection and security.
- The pop-up campers act as a portable living space for you. They give you the comfort of your home. The unit comes with two wings which provide you a good sleeping area. Some pop-up campers also come with a Wi-Fi ranger and booster to keep you connected to the world while you are on a vacation with your family. Most of them come with a cooking area and a storage area as well.
- Pop-up campers are perfect for you if you are a frequent camper who only camps for a few days. However, you’ll need more space if you travel for a longer period of time with your friends and family.
› On the other hand, travel trailers are suitable for a long vacation. They come with the facilities of fridge, television, bedroom and a bathroom. You won’t homesick if you opt to camp with a travel trailer. You can have the comfort of sleeping at your home in the travel trailer. Travel trailers are constructed with hard walls which make you feel protected and secure. You are able to save the hotel reservation cost if you buy a luxurious travel trailer.
If you want short camping trips, an optimal pop-up camper serves your purpose. However, if you want to enjoy the luxurious experience of camping for a long vacation, a travel trailer is a good choice for you.
Things to consider before buying pop-up campers
When buying a pop-up camper there are various features that you might consider important but don’t think that everyone thinks in the same way. For example, some of you might like to remodel your camper all by yourself, which is not a bad thing and for this, you get to save plenty of money when you embark yourself in pursuit of best-used pop-up campers. But longevity and durability of a new camper are not comparable to a used one especially if you use it quite a lot. A camper must have a very sturdy structure so that you can use it for a few years to come. You have to carefully examine the option before buying it because you don’t want to spend anything on repairs if particularly if you have bought a new one. There are some other aspects that you need to consider too.
Repairs associated with camper floor are a pain in the neck because they cost a lot. Therefore, you need to thoroughly have a look at the quality of the canvas used, its roof, and lift system of your buying option. You must also check for any bent frame as it can cause sagging or leaking in your camper.
Your camper must provide you with convenience so that you can easily tow it with your car and after arriving at the campsite you can unhitch to take your vehicle anywhere you want to go.
User friendliness is another crucial feature that you need to consider. You can easily prepare and set up most of the pop-up campers which makes them far easier than setting up a tent, you just need to slide the napping region out and roll up the roof and you are done.
When you are not using your camper then you must store it. Most of the pop-ups today have the capability to fold up in four feet tall box which makes storage very easy.
› Weather resistance
Protection is a key feature because at the campsite you don’t know how quickly the weather changes. It must be able to protect you from the heat of the sun and rain when you don’t want them.
› List of Features & amenities
Pop-up campers make traveling a lot more fun for you. If you are a travel enthusiast and you want the convenience and comfort of your home, pop up campers make your camping super easy for you with numerous amenities. They are portable living vehicles which have the ability to pop up no matter wherever you go.
Small pop-up campers are light-weight and are not spacious enough to provide you with a bathroom facility. However, bigger pop-up campers come with waterproof toilets. The bathrooms are usually wet bathrooms. The toilet is situated inside the shower stall. You have to wipe off the entire bathroom after every shower. You cannot store your toiletries in the bathroom because of the risk of getting wet. Some pop-up campers come with separate shower and toilet facilities. They are installed in a single room but are placed separately.
- Floor plan & Kitchen
Most pop-up campers come with a sitting area. You can spend quality time with your friends and family in these areas when you are not out camping. The sitting area makes you comfortable enough to relax on a much-needed vacation.
- Heating and cooling system
In addition, pop-up campers give you heating and cooling systems to camp in optimal comfort. Moreover, for cooler months some pop-up campers come with the facility of a heater. You can have an ultimate camping experience in chilly winters by keeping yourself warm in the pop-up camper.
- Storage space
Pop-up campers are compact and sleek units but they are spacious enough for you to organize your things properly. You might feel that you don’t have enough space to store the things you need. But if you use the storage area to its optimal capacity you’d be surprised by the storage facilities pop-up camper offer.
When you plan to go for camping, you want to make sure that you have the things you need to make your camping trip memorable. They also come with a kitchen area. The kitchen area consists of a refrigerator, sink and 3 or 4 stoves. You can cook whatever you want. You can make delicious and yummy food and enjoy it with your friends and family. If you are planning a trip which is long enough, it is a good idea to freeze a few meals in the refrigerator and store some food in the kitchen cabinets.
Bear in mind that you pack your things in a space-saving manner when you take a pop-up camper on a trip with you.
› Sleeping comfort/number of sleepers
For camping enthusiast, spending time in outdoor activities is more fun. However, at the end of the day, we all want a comfortable bed to sleep on. You’ll find a comfortable sleeping set-up in many pop-up campers. They come with a soft mattress which gives you the comfort you desire to sleep at night. Pop-up campers give you an ultimate sleeping experience away from your home. You are able to make sleeping arrangements for a family of four in a matter of minutes. When you are out for camping, you don’t need to worry about where to sleep when you have a pop-up camper with you.
Summary Of Pop-Up Campers
|Jayco Jay Series Sport Camping Trailer||2 – 7 People||11 – 18 Feet||4|
|Flagstaff Hard Side Pop-Up Campers||2 – 8 People||19 Feet||8|
|LivinLite – QuickSilver Tent Campers||2 – 6 People||10 – 17 Feet||4|
|Clipper And Viking Camping Trailers||2 – 7 People||12 – 22 Feet||14|
|Aliner& Somerset – NewPort||2 – 6 People||18 Feet||1|
Top 5 best pop up campers reviews
Below are our top five campers carefully selected according to the key factors discussed above, functionality, price points, and other useful features:
1. Jayco Jay Series Sport Camping Trailer
Whether you like rustic and rugged or prefer cozy and comfortable, the Jay Sport pop up camping trailers from Jayco will get things done for you. This trailer makes getting away the way you like a lot easier. For this reason, it appears on the top spot on our list of best pop-up campers.
Why do we recommend it?
These trailer tents folding camper comes with five-lifetime warranties, which means you can thoroughly rely on it. It has several high-quality features such as wall-to-wall vinyl flooring along with sink and faucet made of acrylic plus a stove made of stainless steel that you can either use indoor or outdoor. Moreover, it also boasts a residential cabinetry so that if you want to spend more days at your campsite, you can do so by making more stuff too and enjoy the home-like comfort. It also features a dinette with reversible cushions. You can also opt to buy 4-inch heated bed mats for some extra payment.
Features & Benefits
- Jay Sport camping trailer is equipped with high-quality DiamondFlor vinyl flooring. It comes with acrylic sink and faucet and stove made of stainless steel. The material used enable this pop-up camper to last for many years to come.
- The camper is prepped for stereo and television along with the curtained Bath and outside shower, 6-gallon water heater and all appliances plumbed. You are all set for convenience galore at your campsite.
- It has extra wide lifter posts equipped with push-rods. You can also find a tongue jack for leveling along with a retractable step. It is made of aluminum with sand pads for a very user-friendly setup.
- You can also opt for the Baja Package with 15-inch off-road tires. An additional 5-inch ground clearance enables you to take your pop up camper almost anywhere you want for camping.
- The Jay Sport camping trailers boast a heavy-duty Norco A-frame that is corrosion and scratch resistant. Due to top quality aluminum embossed Super Lube finishing it can handle all types of road and campsite conditions.
- Comes with 10-foot and 12-foot screen room with private panels
- Four different floor plans up to 25-foot in length are available for you to choose from
- Equipped with Duratek water-resistant tents along with 1050 pounds rated beds
- Setup is pretty easy and quick
- Comes with mud tires and high ground clearance
- It is one of the best pop up campers with bathroom
- It is not an ideal option for large families or a group of people.
- Not very durable if exposed to extreme weather conditions.
- Towing feature needs a few adjustments and doesn’t work on bumpy roads.
All in all, it is the best pop up camper because it not only adds functionality but you have plenty of add-on features too. If you have a large family then you would need the larger sized camper for more money but this camper is built to last long.
2. Forest River – Flagstaff Hard Side Pop-Up Campers
The Flagstaff Hard side Pop up camper from Forest River comes with hard side walls which means it has a solid exterior that you normally find in a travel trailer. Hence you get the best of both worlds and therefore, it makes an appearance in our list of best pop up campers.
Why do we recommend it?
The exterior is made of fiberglass vacuum coupled with easy setup. You get a huge towing and storage advantage with this camper. Additionally, you enjoy all the amenities of the travel trailers you find on the market today. The Flagstaff provides you with eight different floorplans and you can opt for a different model as per your requirements and needs. It comes with a fully enclosed living area featuring maple interior and wood look linoleum. This budget-friendly pop-up camper will turn your campsite into a home with the residential type high rise faucet and stainless steel like double pan sink and appliances.
Features & Benefits
- It has a large sized tinted rear roof skylight shade, a couple of front roofs tinted windows to provide plenty of light and airflow.
- The Flagstaff’s one piece structure undercoated wood floor coupled with the two-tone seating and maple interior looks very stylish and elegant. It also adds to the durability of the camper.
- The camper also boasts four EZ Crank Down stabilizer jacks along with powder coated steel frame to keep the setup minimal and simple.
- The pop-up camper is all pre-plumbed and also houses a 20-gallon freshwater tank, outside shower, water filter, and heater. In addition to these, it has a pump under the floor to keep water readily available at all times.
- It also has Wi-Fi ranger and Wi-Fi booster to keep you connected at all times with the internet world. You can also find multiple USB charging ports, a TV outlet, satellite hookup as well as a detachable power cord. Furthermore, a converter and a safety breaker will make your campsite becomes your home.
- Features a hard side high walls made of fiberglass vacuum
- Has features of a trailer as well as a pop-up camper
- You can choose from eight different floorplans
- Has wood like linoleum with maple interior and two-toned seating
- Comes ready to use with all the appliances
- Hard side walls mean you don’t have many options
- No screen room available
- Doesn’t come with mud tires or high ground clearance
If you are happy with a single floor plan and don’t like to alter it much then the hard side walls of this small caper trailer will work very well for you. We declare it as the best small camper bathroom. You get to enjoy the best of both worlds with this trailer-cum-camper.
3. LivinLite – QuickSilver Tent Campers
The QuickSilver Tent Camper from LivinLite has fiberglass exterior that is available in six different colors so you get to choose which one you prefer according to your taste. This pop-up camper also provides you with an option to choose from four different floor plans. With QuickSilver it’s all about your convenience as you have plenty of options to choose from depending on your choice and preferences.
Why do we recommend it?
There are different types of QuickSilver Tent Campers you can find. The number of options available to you makes this product to be one of the best luxury pop up camper available. This budget-friendly camper is available in sleep capacity for 3 and six people. You will get an overall camping length that ranges from 10 feet to 20 feet. The camping height ranges from 8 feet to 8 feet and 2 inches. The unloaded vehicle weight of this camper ranges from 694lbs to 1106lbs. Whereas, the dry hitch weight falls between 92lbs and 186lbs. different options of QuickSilver Tent Campers come with cargo carrying capacity that varies from 506lbs to 1140lbs. All models are equipped with 12-inch tires.
Features & Benefits
- It has an extremely lightweight design due to aluminum construction. The construction makes maneuverability and handling very easy and submits its place as the best product among the ultralight campers for small cars.
- With swivel jack on tongue, pre-wires Furrion Solar and stabilizer jacks all work together to provide the user with an easy-to-setup convenience.
- The interiors include aluminum cabinetry, crack proof linoleum, lightweight countertops, under-seat storage thermoformed compartments provide maximum usability and comfort.
- The exterior includes all tubular aluminum frame with vacuum bonded walls that are laminated with composite walls for high-level weather protection and longevity.
- You can also opt for various packages including electric brakes, aluminum rear storage deck, air conditioner, 7-way plug, awning room, privacy drapes, LP furnace and stovetop, residential countertop, additional road clearance, and all-terrain 15-inch tires. For additional investment, you can go for these packages based on your preferences for additional comfort and luxury.
- Comes with aluminum cabinetry and crack proof linoleum as well as lightweight countertops.
- Also features hand pump sink with city water fill and water tank
- Thermoformed storage compartments under the seats and laminated floor
- Comes with nitro filled radial tires, aluminum rims and exterior trim with diamond plate.
- Plenty of other special features such as awning room, electric brakes, aluminum rear storage deck, 7-way plug, air conditioning facility LP stovetop and all-terrain tires with extra ground clearance.
- No screen room option available but you can buy it separately and add it
- Setting up takes a bit of time especially for the first-time user
- Towing feature needs slight improvements
If you are looking for plenty of options then Quicksilver Tent Campers is the way to go. With different exterior color options and floor plans, this pop-up camper works fine and it ensures you don’t miss out on anything.
4. Coachmen – Clipper And Viking Camping Trailers
The Clipper and Viking Camping Trailer from Coachmen feature state of the art technology in its design and construction and it is engineered with on aim in mind and that is “ease.” The camper is very convenient to set up and even more comfortable to store and use.
Why do we recommend it?
Coachmen pop up camper made our list of best pop up campers because comfort and ease are among the top priorities of the users. This camper trailer raises the bar by providing you with easy towing through aerodynamic profiling. It also gives you the patent-pending technology of Glide-N-Lock bedding system. This camper trail comes with 14 different floorplans ensuring you the practical facilitation at the campsite. It comes with two different options for hitch weight including 105lbs and 73lbs with exterior open lengths of 14.5-foot and 9-foot respectively. The exterior closed length will be 12-foot 4-inch and 12-foot 11-inch. Whereas, the exterior closed height will be four and a half foot and 4-foot 3-inch respectively. The width of the exterior would be 60-foot and 72-foot. These are the dimensions for Clipper Express.
Features & Benefits
- Its chassis is equipped with steel frame, Wide Trac Ultra lube torsion, and spring axles. Furthermore, it contains heavyweight dolly jack, dual drive winch from Canimex along with electric brakes, aluminum rims, radial tires, and scissor style jacks with lift system (Goshen) to provide you with maximum comfort on road.
- The interior of this camper trailer features 100% adhesive residential grade linoleum with walnut cabinetry, laminated countertops, residential cabinet doors from Mortise and Tenon, 4-inch heated mattresses for ultra comfort and many others to give you that relaxation of home even away from home and it also adds to the durability of the camper.
- The exterior features laminated aluminum skin walls, diamond plate rear and front wall protection with laminated fiberglass, LED exterior lamps, Zero Exposure Bunk technology, and others to keep the camper safe from changing weather and road conditions.
- It is available in fourteen different floorplans. You can pick one as per your preferences and requirements depending on your camping partners.
- Chassis comes with electric brakes lift system (Goshen), aluminum rims, radial mud tires, a spare tire, and aluminum rims.
- The interior is fully equipped with all the facilities you need to spend maximum quality time at your campsite.
- The exterior is all coated with lamination to ensure the longevity of the camper trailer.
- The aluminum construction guarantees lightweight design with durability.
- It is available in different floorplans to house as many as eight people at a time and with drapers each person can enjoy his/her privacy.
- Not available in many color options as far as the exterior is a concern
- It is a slightly expensive product as compared to others on this list of best pop up campers but does offer value too
- Not designed for extreme weathers
The clipper is all about convenience and ease and all its functions revolve around this trait. The camper does come at a slightly higher price as compared to others on this list but it also provides with numerous features. It is the best pop up truck camper with luxury.
5. Aliner& Somerset – NewPort
The Aliner& Somerset pop up campers emphasize more on simplicity than anything else. This super cheap option is more suitable for the people who don’t want anything fancy. With a simple floorplan, the NewPort offers all the goodies in one package.
Why do we recommend it?
This option is best suited for the people who don’t want to spend a lot on their pop up camper. People who don’t do much camping can use this option because after using it you can store it with ease and it won’t take much space either. Nevertheless, bear in mind that you won’t find much of a luxury in the NewPort. The easy to set up and use features of this camper gives it quite an edge over other options that have featured on our list of best pop up campers. The towing camper has a road height of 47-inch and its base vehicle weight is 1150lbs while the base axle weight stands at 1050lbs. the size of the trailer, when closed, is 6-foot 8-inch in width and 12-foot 11-inch in length.
Features & Benefits
- The tire size of this camper trailer is large. This feature provides a good amount of ground clearance and you can move around in different terrains with ease.
- It has a flip-up gallery with plenty of storage capacity while the 4-inch mattress size. It can house on both ends is 51-inch by 72-inch which means that the camper is pretty spacious.
- Moreover, it features a convertible dinette that can also be changed into the bed of size 39-inch by 59-inch. Moreover, it provides some extra room for six people easily.
- The NewPort comes with all standard equipment and appliances along with a portable water tank of 5 gallons to provide the users with standard living facilities.
- The best feature of this camper is its low price without compromising on basic facilities.
- It features a convertible dinette that can change into a small bed for kids or one person.
- You can house two large mattresses with 4-inch thickness.
- It offers plenty of storage room through cabinets and compartments.
- The NewPort is equipped with double burner porcelain stove with cover
- It only focuses on the basics and does not have any premium features
- Not a durable product and is best suited for non-frequent campers.
- Slight cheap quality materials
Aliner& Somerset is focusing on the market segment that is price conscious and for that, they have designed NewPort that does the basics well but does not go beyond that.
Thinking about buying a Used Pop-Up Campers! What to consider when purchasing a Used Pop Up Camper?
Are you short on budget? Do you want to buy a used pop-up camper? You need to keep a few things in mind before making your purchasing decision. We have compiled a few tips for you to make it easier for you to find a used pop-up camper in an excellent shape. You’ll be able to save many troubles by following our purchasing guide for a used pop-up camper.
- Apparent/Physical condition
First and foremost, it is important for you to consider the condition of the used pop-up camper. Do a very thorough examination of the used pop-up camper you are thinking of buying. Pop-up campers are sleek and compact units which are prone to wearing off easily when used in harsh weather conditions.
Water and moisture are two enemies of the pop-up camper which ruin the structure of the unit. Make sure that you properly investigate the damaged areas of the pop-up camper. Check the imperfections by paying great attention to detail. If something needs to be repaired, let the seller know beforehand.
- Working Condition of Heating and Cooling system
Check all the heating and cooling systems of the pop-up camper properly. Make sure that the water and electrical supply is effective and efficient. Ensure that the tires are in a condition to tow the equipment easily.
- New vs. Used
Whether you buy a new pop-up camper or a used pop-up camper, they should give you the comfort you need to experience while camping with your family. The used pop-up campers come with the same facilities as the new ones. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about anything if you buy a used pop-up camper. You’ll be able to find used pop-up campers in a good condition at a fair price. However, keep in mind that it’s your money at stake, so make sure that you make a good deal.
You may like: Top 10 tow bars reviews
Questions and Answers (Q&A)
Q. Can you repair them if any breakdown occurs during your travel time?
A. If you are planning to purchase a used pop-up camper you might be concerned about its repairing. It might be a challenging task for you to get your pop-up camper repaired but you can do minor repairs yourself. These light-weight and compact units are usually made from canvas which might get damaged easily. If there is a tear in the pop-up camper, it is easily repairable. You can deal with most repairs yourself.
If the ceiling of your pop-up camper starts leaking, it can also be used again. If you are unable to repair it yourself, you can hire a professional to do it for you.
Q. Do you need any special license to drive pop-up campers?
A. All you need is a valid driving license to drive a towable vehicle nothing else.
Q. Are pop up campers easy to tow?
A. The weight of the pop-up campers is not too heavy which makes it easier for you to tow. You don’t need to attach an extra heavy vehicle with it. It comes with movable wheels which allow you to tow it with the car in your driveway.
Q. Do they come with a customizable storage place?
A. You can remodel and redesign your pop-up camper according to your needs. If you need more storage capacity, you can add shelves and more storage place in your camper. You can make the pop-up camper more spacious by adding storage cubbies. You can add them to the walls or floors. More storage capacity allows you to stay more organized.
Q. Are they long lasting and durable?
A. One of the major concerns of the buyers when buying a pop-up camper is durability. They want it to last for years. Most premium qualities pop-up campers stay with you for a long time. They are engineered to deal with the harsh weather conditions. They don’t leak, hold up strong in a rainstorm and allow you to stay warm on a chilly winter night.
In the end, we will say that there are numerous alternatives if you are looking for a pop-up camper. We have only focused on the above five because we think they are the best pop up campers that you can find on the market. Each of the above products has its pros and cons. However, you can choose any one of them based on your preferences and needs. We have focused on conveniences, value, price, and luxury when we developed our list and everyone gives a different score or weight age to each of these characteristics. We will suggest that you go through these options and check other websites before you finalize your purchase decision. You can opt for anything you like you can go for luxury or you can opt for less expensive. Either way, we sincerely hope that you buy the best product that enables you to have fun on your upcoming trip. Hope you have enjoyed the article. If you have any suggestions or comments please leave your message below. We will be more than happy to hear from you. Happy camping!