Are you looking for the best solar backpack to keep all your mobile devices charged while camping or hiking in the great outdoors? Read on to learn more about solar panel backpacks on the market today and probably find one that suits your style, charging needs, and budget.
The smartphone and other mobile devices have revolutionized the way we communicate and stay in touch with family, colleagues today. You can hardly venture out of the house without your smartphone within reach.
The tragedy is that smartphone batteries hardly last a day without charging. The device is not of much use without a power outlet close by. This is a major problem if you are traveling, biking, or hiking in remote locations. You’ll need a reliable way to keep your smartphone and other devices such as your tablet and laptop charged at all times. This is exactly what a solar backpack does.
The solar backpack is a portable charging station conveniently located on your backpack. It converts solar power into direct current (DC) energy that charges your mobile devices. It is a great tool to have around when your device is running out of juice and the nearest power outlet is miles away.
Advantages of a Solar Power backpacks
If you are walking under the sun why not let Mother Nature save you from a dead phone battery situation? In this age of information and wireless connectivity, almost everyone uses a cell phone, tablet, iPod, laptop, portable speakers, and other electronic devices. All these devices need to be charged constantly to keep on working as expected. Unfortunately, we are not always near a power outlet every time. The solar backpack solves this problem by providing you with a portable charging station that you can use wherever and whenever there is sunshine, which is most of the times unless you live in the polar regions.
The solar pack is basically your normal backpack but with a solar panel attached. The panel provides a convenient way to charge your devices using energy from the sun. You can even charge a battery pack during the day and use it to power your devices at night.
You may ask, why not carry a power bank and charge your devices wherever you are? Well, in my experience, power banks do provide additional and easily portable sources of power but they too have a limit. You need to be extremely careful of how you use your devices if you are solely relying on a power bank. This is not the case with solar packs. It eliminates all worries and concerns about your device running out of juice.
The best solar power backpack also comes with a hydration pack included. A hydration pack is something you should never leave the house without when going for a hiking, biking, or any other backpacking trip.
Comparison Chart of Top 10 Best Solar Backpacks
Note: Please use these as a reference only. Features & specifications are subject to change without any notice. Thanks
When You Need a Solar Backpack
There are many instances when you really need a solar pack to solve your power problems. Here are a few examples:
- When you are on a backpacking adventure and need a convenient way to charge your devices.
- Attending weekend festivals? The last thing you need at a festival is your camera or phone suddenly dying on you. A solar backpack ensures this tragedy doesn’t happen.
- While you are out camping and need to stay in communication with people back at home. The solar pack keeps your devices fully charged whether you are in or away from the campsite.
- When you go out fishing and need to have your cell phone and other devices charged.
- While hunting in the woods
- You can always carry one of these handy solar packs in your car just in case you are stuck in the woods or run into an emergency situation away from home. The car’s charging system may fail to leave you without any other option except your solar panels on your backpack.
You may like: Top 5 pop-up campers for adventure trips.
10 Best Solar Backpack Reviews on the Market
Here is a review of my top 10 solar backpacks. These reviews will give you an idea of the best solar power backpack on the market.
1. Voltaic Systems OffGrid 10 Watt Rapid Solar Backpack
The Voltaic Systems OffGrid solar pack is designed to help you charge your mobile devices on the go wherever you are. It delivers 10 Watts of solar power, which is enough to power your smartphone, tablets, DSLR camera, and any other USB device. It comes with a battery pack or Power Bank included.
The solar pack’s panel is made of high-quality SunPower solar cells with 22% efficiency. It is water-proof and UV resistant. Its ETFE coating makes it more durable than most solar panels on the market today. The included V44 battery pack can charge your devices for 7 hours when connected directly to the solar panel and 6 hours via the included USB cable.
- High-efficiency SunPower solar panels. They can charge your devices just as fast as your power outlet at home. The solar panels are made of top grade monocrystalline solar cells.
- 12,000mAh battery pack. It has two USB ports which can charge two mobile devices at the same time.
- 25L volume. This is enough to carry most of the essential cargo you need while backpacking or hiking
- Dedicated pockets. They make it possible to charge your smartphone and other devices on the go.
- Padded sleeve. The sleeve can hold your laptop or tablet safely.
- Expandable water bottle pocket. The water bottle pocket comes complete with a tripod strap
- Great design. For the ultimate comfort, the backpack is designed with a high density molded back and breathable mesh shoulder section.
- Long durability. It is a durable backpack with a manufacturer warranty of 2 years for the solar panel and 1 year for the battery pack
- Functional design and build
- Can charge most smartphones to 100% in just 3.5 hours
- Perfect for extended hiking or biking outings
- Comes with a huge battery pack included
- A little bit heavy but with sufficient volume and great functionality
- Pricey compared with other solar backpacks but with more features and higher efficiency than the rest. It provides value for money.
2. Birksun Solar Backpack Review
The Birksun comes in a beautiful combination of black and festival pink colors. It not only keeps your devices charged at all times but looks great to carry along to the beach, backpacking adventures, and festivals. It is lightweight at just 2.4 pounds and has an ample volume of 20 liters. It gives you fast charging using the latest solar panel technology.
- High-quality water-resistant fabric. This way your solar pack will work even if it falls on water.
- Lightweight, waterproof, and extremely durable solar panels. They will work for a longer time than other similar solar panels.
- TSA approved. You can take your solar pack with you both for local and international travel uses.
- Dedicated laptop sleeve. The sleeve can hold a 17-inch laptop securely.
- Built-in 3,000mAh Lithium-Ion battery. This battery can charge most USB devices. It is a 3.25watt monocrystalline battery capable of charging an USB device at the same speed as a wall socket power outlet at home.
- Fast charging. It is capable of creating power that can charge your devices with just two minutes of sunlight exposure. It has a better efficiency ratio than an ordinary solar panel device.
- Many pockets. The bag has more pockets to keep your small gadgets safe and secure.
- Doesn’t have a bulky appearance with 16x12x15 inches dimensions.
- It provides fast charging for your devices
- It features the latest solar technology
- The backpack is completely waterproof and designed to last
- It has a powerful 3,000mAh battery capable of charging any USB device
- It has an attractive design
- A bit pricier than other similar models
- The USB port can charge one device at a time. An extra USB port would be greater
3. ECEEN Solar Backpack
This ECEEN solar backpack comes with 7 solar panel walls that provide enough power to charge your smartphone, tablet, eReaders, GoPro Camera, GPS, and Bluetooth speakers. It is the most versatile solar hiking daypack. It features a 3.25 watts charger to keep your mobile devices powered at all times. It is not only ultra-lightweight but made of waterproof and tear-resistant fabric. It is a flexible backpack that you can also use for daily activities. The backpack comes with a 3.25 watts solar charger complete with a built-in battery.
- 42-liters volume. Large volume to carry everything you need while enjoying the great outdoors
- Powerful battery. Comes with an extremely powerful battery of 10,000mAh to keep your USB devices charged at all times
- Can charge a wide range of devices from the 5V USB port including smartphones, tablets, laptops, GPS units, eReaders, Bluetooth speakers, and GoPro cameras among others.
- The solar charger is powered by high-efficiency 7 watts SunPower solar cells with 22% power transfer efficiency.
- Solar cells have a protective anti-scratch coating and enclosed in durable weather resistant PVC fabric. It is a perfect solar pack for the outdoor person who spends a long time outside the house or office.
- Many pockets. Has plenty of pockets and compartments to stuff your gear.
- Extremely lightweight despite its huge volume
- Made from waterproof, durable materials
- Comes with ample sized multiple pockets and compartments
- Has a powerful battery
- Uses high-efficiency solar panels
- Can be used for multiple purposes
- It does not come with a battery pack included
- A bit pricey but with awesome features and functions. Provides great value for money.
4. ECEEN Camping Backpack
The red colored ECEEN camping backpack is a 7 watts solar powered camping backpack made of high-quality poly materials. It is designed to carry your essential outdoor gear and provide enough solar power to charge smartphones and other 5 volt mobile devices you carry along on your outdoor adventures. It features SunPower brand solar panel cells with a high-efficiency transfer rate of 22 percent. The bag has an ample size of 20.5 x 13.8 x 8.6 inches. It is a great solar charger for camping, music festivals, biking, hiking, and other outdoor activities.
- Made of strong, durable, heavy gauge nylon material with waterproof coating and UV resistance
- Fast charging. Takes between 6 and 8 hours to fully charge a smartphone or tablet, depending on the device model and battery size.
- Removable 7 watts lightweight solar panel capable of charging your smartphone, laptop, tablet, camera, and other 5 V devices.
- Great design. Rich pocket design that allows you to securely store your gear. It has a soft padded laptop pocket that can accommodate a 14-inch laptop.
- Huge capacity of 36 liters. It weighs just 2 pounds including the solar panel.
- Good warranty. Comes with an 18 months warranty and 30-day money back guarantee from the manufacturer.
- Large enough to carry your outdoor or camping gear
- Has a high-efficiency solar charger
- Made of lightweight well-ventilating materials
- The water bladder helps to store extra water
- Wider side pockets would be better
- It no longer comes with a battery pack included.
5. Birksun Solar Backpack in Mythos Black Color
This is another durable Birksun Solar Backpack that is available in sleek Mythos black color. It uses the latest solar panel technology to give you chargeable power in just two minutes of exposure to sunlight. You can charge a completely dead battery using this 2-minute power by 1%. The solar charger in this backpack has better efficiency ratio than ordinary solar panel devices. It is ranked high in most Birksun solar backpack reviews.
- Monocrystalline battery. Comes with a 3.25-watt monocrystalline battery that can power devices at the same rate as a wall socket
- Has an extremely durable solar panel that will last up to 20 years
- Premium materials. High-quality construction that the Birksun brand is well known for. The backpack is constructed using soft and durable fabric for comfort and protection of your delicate devices such as smartphones, tablets, cameras, and laptops.
- Extra pocket. Comes with a soft and secure fleece lined sleeve to hold your laptop. The laptop pocket can securely hold a 17-inch laptop.
- Powerful battery. Has a built-in 3,000mAh Lithium-Ion battery that can charge any USB device
- Great power output. A power output of 2.4 amps, which is more than sufficient for most smartphones
- It is lightweight at a weight of just 2.3 pounds
- Large enough to carry most of your gear
- Comes with a powerful battery
- Uses the latest solar power technology
- Has a high-quality build
- It is comfortable to carry around
- It has one USB port which means it can only charge one device at a time.
6. ECEEN Solar Bag – Versatile Solar Backpack for 5V USB-Charged Devices
The ECEEN Solar Bag comes with a 7-watt solar panel that you can use to charge your smartphone, tablet, laptop, GoPro camera, and other 5V chargeable devices. It gives you unlimited power to charge your devices on the go. It is designed to capture a greater amount of sunlight than most solar panels to give you more electricity from each panel. The backpack is made of high quality and durable nylon fabric. It has many pockets and compartments to hold your gear. It is a perfect solar back for backpacking, biking, hiking, mountaineering, fishing, festivals, and other outdoor activities.
- High-efficiency. It has high-efficiency 7 watts SunPower solar cells with a transfer efficiency of 22%. The cells use the latest solar technology to ensure that your devices are fully charged at all times.
- Protective coating. The cells are enclosed in a protective anti-scratch coating and sewn in durable weather resistant PVC fabric.
- It can charge a wide range of devices via the USB port including smartphones, GPS systems, Bluetooth speakers, MP3 players, tablets, laptops, external battery packs, and many more.
- Powerful battery. Comes with a powerful waterproof 10,000mAh Li-polymer battery pack
- Lightweight and extremely durable. The backpack is made of rip-resistant and waterproof fabric with stress points reinforced using bar tacking for longevity.
- Large water bladder. It has a large 1.8-liter water bladder bag to keep you hydrated while exploring the great outdoors
- It has a large water bladder bag
- Has a reliable 7-watts solar panel to keep your devices charged at all times
- A powerful waterproof battery pack
- It comes with a Micro USB cable included
- Extra storage compartments to hold all your gear securely
- You can detach the solar panel and use it as a normal backpack
- It is ultra-lightweight and durable
- The small flaps holding the solar panels seem to be poorly made but are strong enough to hold the panels securely.
7. SunLabz Solar Charger Backpack (7W)
This solar charger from SunLabz is an excellent product made from durable waterproof fabric. It is one of the best solar backpack which is designed for the harsh outdoors. As for solar energy, the backpack comes with 7W solar panel cells and a powerful 10,000mAh power bank (battery pack). It is a 5V USB charger and a travel backpack that is roomy enough to accommodate all your essentials. To keep you well hydrated, the Solar Charger backpack has a 1.8-liter hydration bladder. It has a beautiful ergonomic design and a number of pockets and compartments to store your essential outdoor ear items.
- Durable solar panel. Has a durable, lightweight anti-scratch solar panel. The panel is held by a weather resistant PVC fabric that can withstand abuse from outdoor elements.
- Highly efficient solar cells. Uses high-efficiency solar cells with a transfer rate of 22% to give you the best charging performance
- Large panel. It packs 7W of solar energy to keep your mobile devices charged while you are hiking, camping, biking, or enjoying long hours of outdoor air.
- Powerful battery. Has a powerful 10,000mAh battery pack
- Comes with a Voltage Stability Controller that helps to prevent unstable current that could damage your device
- Has a 5V USB port capable of charging your smartphone, tablet, laptop, camera, GPS, and other portable electronic devices
- Hydration pack. The backpack has a 1.8-liter hydration pack that eliminates the need to carry along bottles of water.
- Quality materials. Made of sports quality PVC fabric that is not only weatherproof but extremely durable too.
- It is lightweight at just 3 pounds
- It has a large solar panel that can capture plenty of solar energy
- Has a reliably powerful 10,000mAh power bank
- A large hydration water bladder
- Made of durable PVC fabric
- Its slim design is only suitable for day hikes
8. EnerPlex Packr Commuter Solar Powered Backpack
The EnerPlex Packr Commuter Solar backpack has a special design featuring several compartments and pockets as well as a flexible solar panel conveniently located at the back to absorb as much sunlight as possible. It has a small battery inside that can charge your tablet, camera, or smartphone via a USB port. The 3-Watts solar panel delivers 5 volts of charging power directly from the sun. It is a relatively smaller solar backpack but capable of keeping all your mobile devices charged on the go.
- Powerful panels. 3-Watts solar panels capable of providing enough power to charge 5V devices via a USB port
- CIGS technology. Patented CIGS technology in its flexible lightweight solar panels
- 30-liter capacity. This is sufficient enough to carry your hiking or outdoor gear
- Padded back. The padded back is very useful for extra comfort
- Extra pockets. 2 main pockets and two side pockets which include a 15-inch laptop compartment. It has other smaller pockets to store other little items such a computer mouse or a power cable.
- Great design. Designed with flexible materials that can bend and absorb impact without breaking
- Can charge any device that charges well from a USB 2.0 port
- Comfortable to wear and carry thanks to padded shoulder straps that are easily adjustable too
- Has a functional pocket layout to hold your delicate electronic devices securely
- Comes in a sleek black color
- Flexible solar charger
- Made from durable fabric
- Perfect for day hikes
- A large cell phone does not fit properly in the charging pocket
9. ECEEN Hydration Solar Backpack
The ECEEN Hydration Solar Backpack is a great option for any hiker, backpacker, or camper who loves being self-sufficient. It is a backpack that doubles up as a reliable solar power charging station with a powerful 7 Watt solar panel charger. The backpack also includes a large 2-liter water bladder to keep you hydrated as you tackle the wild outdoors. It is a stylish red backpack that hangs comfortably on your back without wearing you out.
- ECEEN hydration solar pack. It keeps you connected when you are traveling off the power grid. It can charge a wide range of mobile devices including your smartphone, tablet, GPS unit, DSLR camera, iPod and much more thanks to its 5V USB port and high-efficiency solar cells with a transfer rate of 22%.
- Protective Voltage Stability Control. This feature safeguards your devices from damages caused by unstable currents.
- Powerful panel. Its 7 watts solar panel charger provides sufficient power to ensure your mobile devices don’t run out of juice wherever you are
- Removable solar panels. They can be removed to allow you to use the backpack as a normal bag.
- Ample volume of 8 liters. This is enough for day hikes
- 2-liter hydration bladder. The bladder can carry all the water you need in a day’s hike
- Powerful battery. It packs 10,000mAh
- Durable materials. Made of durable high-quality PVC fabric
- It is lightweight with a weight of under 3 pounds
- An eco-friendly camping or hiking accessory
- It is lightweight
- Comes with a hydration pack complete with a tube
- Powerful solar cells and battery pack
- Several small pockets to store small items securely
- A large solar panel
- Looks great
- Slightly pricier
- The battery pack is not included in the package
- Small volume for overnight hikes but enough to carry all you need for day hiking
10. SolarGoPack Solar Powered Backpack
The SolarGoPck is a solar-powered backpack with a large battery and solar panel. It comes in a stylish combination of black and blue colors. It comes with a reliable 5W solar panel that provides sufficient power to charge your mobile devices. Besides the 5W solar panel, the backpack has a powerful 12,000mAh battery pack, the highest battery capacity for solar backpacks in its class. It is a roomy backpack with 27 liters of space to accommodate everything you need while hiking, camping, or attending a festival.
- Durable waterproof materials. It will last longer if you take good care of it when not in use.
- Powerful enough to charge any mobile device. The removable 5-watt uses the latest solar panel technology to keep your devices fully charged at home and away.
- Powerful 12,000mAh Li-Ion battery pack. This serves as an additional power source.
- Spacious 27-liter backpack. It can carry most of the stuff you need on an overnight trekking adventure or when attending a festival.
- The solar backpack has many pockets and slots to hold miscellaneous items
- Has a well-padded back and straps for comfort
- It is roomy enough to carry many items
- Strong enough to carry the heavy load
- Made of durable waterproof materials
- Can charge multiple devices at the same time
- Has a powerful battery pack
- Its solar panel can be removed and used to charge other electronics
- A bit pricey but provides value for money
- Little too big for short day hikes
Solar Power Backpack FAQ’s
Q. How do solar panels in a backpack work?
A. The solar panels on a solar backpack work in the same way domestic solar panels at homework. They simply convert solar energy from sunlight into Direct Current that can be used to charge your mobile devices when you don’t have a regular wall socket power outlet close by.
Q. How much time does a solar panel on your backpack take to fully charge a smartphone?
A. The time it takes to completely charge a smartphone using a solar backpack depends on many factors such as the smartphone model, its battery size, and the capacity of the solar panel. However, for most smartphones, charging using solar backpack panels takes between 6 and 8 hours.
Q. Can you replace the battery pack on a solar backpack with a more powerful one?
A. Most solar backpacks come with built-in battery packs, which make it impossible to replace the battery or power bank. Fortunately, most of the models we have reviewed above come with powerful battery packs, some with as much as 10,000mAh capacities. In most cases, you won’t need to replace the battery pack.
Q. What is the best water hydration bladder size in a solar backpack?
A. You obviously need as much water as you can carry in a solar backpack’s hydration bladder but keep in mind the more water you load into the pack the heavier it becomes. To find a good balance between hydration and weight, it is recommended to go for a backpack with a hydration bladder of 1.8 to 2 liters. That’s enough water to keep you hydrated throughout the day without having to carry too much weight.
Q. What is the best construction material for a solar backpack?
A. Solar backpacks are designed using a combination of many materials including nylon and PVC. I recommend nylon because it is not only waterproof but durable too.
A solar backpack gives you the best opportunity to use Mother Nature to charge your mobile devices when you are away from the local power grid. It is a convenient way of using clean green energy to stay connected with family and friends. When shopping for the best solar pack, make sure to check its weight, solar power capacity, and size. The ten best solar backpacks we have covered in this review provide reliable charging power and are amply sized to carry your essential camping or hiking accessories. Find one that meets your device charging needs and budget.
See also: Beach Camping Tips & Tricks